Dream, Believe, Achieve…
We have 5 themes that underpin our school ethos:
Dream: promote high aspirations by providing pupils with opportunities to learn about the career options open to them in the future.
Believe: encourage pupils to become confident, independent learners to develop the skills they need for future success.
Achieve: provide pupils with core skills and capabilities such as team work, problem solving and imagination in order that they strive to be the best they can be.
Nurture: foster each child's spiritual, emotional, moral, social and cultural development, promoting positive attitudes and a clear understanding of British Values.
Experience: offer a diverse and challenging curriculum that engages and stimulates pupils, taking care to meet the individual needs of pupils.
From the above we have our termly themes. These themes have additional goals we want the children at Southwood to understand and demonstrate in their everyday life inside and outside of school. The other 2 themes: nurture and experience, underpin everything that we do.
Autumn term: Dream (including Work Week)
- ambition: every individual to have an ambition or dream
- inspiration: every individual to be inspired to succeed now and in the future
- courage: every individual to have the courage to be themselves
We will also have school aims each half term from our PSHE units of work: Being Me in My World and Relationships and learn more about the British Values of democracy and the rule of law.
Spring term: Believe
- enthusiasm: every individual to be enthusiastic and have a positive, ‘can do’ attitude
- confidence: every individual to be confident to try something new
- perseverance: every individual to show perseverance when experiencing setbacks
We will also have school aims each half tern from our PSHE units of work: Dreams and Goals and Healthy Me and learn more about the British Value of individual liberty.
Summer term: Achieve (including sporting and cultural events and challenge days)
- determination: every individual has the determination to finish a job
- independence: every individual has the confidence to work as independently as possible
- pride: every individual to be proud of what they have achieved
We will also have school aims each half term from our PSHE units of work: Celebrating Difference and Changing Me and learn more about the British Values of mutual respect and tolerance of those of different faiths and beliefs.