Geography at Southwood
At Southwood, we aim to inspire in pupils a curiosity and fascination about the world and its people, that will remain with them for the rest of their lives. We promote children’s interest and knowledge of diverse places, people, resources and natural and human environments, together with a deep understanding of the Earth’s key physical and human processes. Our curriculum is designed to equip children with the knowledge and skills to explore, appreciate and understand the world in which we live and how it has evolved.
Intent: What will we be learning?
Implement: How will we be learning?
At Southwood, we believe geography should be led by enquiry. Our curriculum centres around key questions which encourage children to explore to develop their knowledge and skills.
How we will structure our learning:
- A topic overview which clearly outlines the knowledge, vocabulary and skills to be learned and developed.
- A structure of lessons which encourages inquiry, exploration, play and discussion.
- Access to a variety of maps, images and resources.
- An emphasis on relating new knowledge to those learned in previous years (everything is connected)
- An opportunity for fieldwork to develop and deepen children's understanding of features and processes.
Impact: What is the effect of this learning?
Through our enquiry based approach, children build skills and vocabulary to understand the world around them. They are able to confidently:
- give reasons